Being an empathetic person is not easy. This was reflected on his time in the article The empathic listening. Why do not people listen? It is not easy because in many cases it is believed to be in the obligation to respond to the person before him. This makes the answers we give to these persons hold an empathetic way but, unfortunately, many times they are not. In today’s article I have the intention to show the nine most common types of non-empathic responses. So I will not keep you more and I begin the article. Can I accompany you? Empathetic
Empathic responses…How much you are needed?
To see what I mean. When we refer to the term empathy it is necessary to note that in many cases it is not necessary to respond to the person we have in front, that is, we want to be empathetic giving answers that in most cases are not empathetic. So what is the best empathic response? The best empathic response is not giving any response. Right. Empathic people are those who stand out not so respond, but by his ability to listen.
To be empathetic do not need to respond, active listening, but the other way. That’s what I called at the time the empathic listening or listen from the heart and this statement may surprise you. Therefore my intention is to show types of answers that apparently are empathetic, but that if you examine in depth, you will notice that they are not.
What is then the best empathic response?
The best empathic response is one that can give through listening, not the answer. From what point it is to be able to be present, to be presented facing each other with the five senses. And that is achieved by emptying your mind and listening to the other person with your whole being. Therefore,
Empathy involves the ability to be present
In fact, when a person is about to communicate something, in most cases not seeking an answer, but comfort. And the best comfort does not have to offer as a response, that is, what people really want is to be heard, transfer you their feelings. It is able to interpret the time the other person transmits you the following wish
Listen unanswered is invaluable because active listening is normally exempt from judgment, opinion and assessment. When listening without answering, what you get is to focus all attention on the message you are conveying that person. Listen unanswered offers time and space to the other to express freely their feelings and thoughts, thus facilitating feel understood by you. In this sense there is a saying that sums it up perfectly:
Do nothing, stick to be
The 9 types of non-empathic responses.
1. As advisers. I think you should …
2. Comforting. Do not feel guilty. You’ve done the best that you could.
3. Personal. That’s nothing! I once …
4. Narrative. That reminds me of the story …
5. Relative. Cheer up! Sure …
6. Conditional. You can learn from this if …
7. Corrective. Is not.
8. Interrogative. Why …?
9. Excusable. I would love to help you, but …
Examples of empathic responses
Imagine a student telling you the following sentence:
“I failed the math test with a four.”
Now I will apply the nine types of non-empathic responses. Judge for yourself the answer:
1. As advisers. I think you should be better planned week, since they had many tests concentrated in a few days.
2. Comforting. Do not be sad. Sure that the review has given the best of you.
3. Personal. Do not worry! I was your age I used to suspend math and see how far you’ve come.
4. Narrative. You just remember the day that I got suspended a review of music with a four. I remember like it was yesterday and exam questions.
5. Relative. Courage! You’ll see how the next will do much better. It’s not that bad.
6. Conditional. Sure you can pass the following if you look at the mistakes you’ve made in this test.
7. Corrective. Well you know why you have not passed the math test.
8. Interrogative. And why do you think you brought this note on the math test?
9. Excusable. I wish we could help with the examination, but the math is not my strong suit.
When the best response is no response. No empathic response. To conclude.
In this article I wanted to have an impact on an aspect which I find really important and is as follows Unable to active listening and searching for an answer at the same time. What does this mean? For more importance it is given to what we want to respond to what you are telling the other person. We must listen with an empty mind. And to listen with an empty mind can not be possible answers. Hence the danger of certain empathic responses, responses that as you saw in the example does not provide solutions. Because, perhaps, empathy is not intended to provide answers, but to give away your presence, your space and time to another.